Thursday, November 18, 2010

Supporting Sporting

Well, it's official.  We are now Sporting KC. 
I wasn't sure how to feel about it at first, but upon further review, I'm ok with it.. and it's growing on me more and more every minute.
However, I can't say the same about a majority of my friends (including some members of the BSE). 
Here are some examples of the texts and Facebook comments I received shortly after the announcement:

-Dude.  Worst move ever by the Wizards org.  FC Kansas City would have been 10 times better.
-What a bunch of BS.  I can't believe they did that.
-Where's the dislike button?  They're the Wizards!
-How stupid.  Sporting Kansas City?  Sounds like we're "Wearing" Kansas City.
-What the eff is a "sporting?"

I get it.  Nobody likes change.  Granted, it's hard to rebrand a team that's been around for 15 years, but... They want to sell tickets and get everybody in KC excited about soccer again.  It seems to me that they're doing their best to put KC Soccer on the map. 

With what will be one of the best soccer specific stadiums in the country and the new Overland Park Soccer Complex, Kansas City could soon be a major hub in the development of young american soccer players.  I think that would be pretty sweet.

Like I said, when I first heard about the rebranding, I really didn't know how to take it.  As a loyal fan of the Wizards since their inception, it was difficult for me to accept the loss. 
Let me take you on a little jorney I experienced in the time leading up to last night's announcement. 
I like to call it "The 5 stages of rebranding."

Stage 1 -
Denial
The first reaction to learning of the rebranding of my cherished soccer team was to deny the reality of the situation.  It is a normal reaction for me to rationalize overwhelming emotions when dealing with my soccer team.  It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock of going from the Kansas City Wizards to Sporting KC.  I did my best to hide from the facts.  Denial was a temporary response that carried me through the first wave of pain.

Stage 2-
Anger

As the masking effect of denial began to wear, reality and it's pain surfaced.  I was not ready for this.  The intense emotion was deflected from my core, redirected and expressed to the outside world as anger.  The anger was aimed at OnGoal, the new name, the new logo, and even complete strangers.  I felt guilty for being angry, and this made me more angry.

Stage 3-
Bargaining

The normal reaction to feelings of helplessness and vulnerability is often a need to regain control.

If only I had started a petition to keep the name…
If only I had done something to make the Kansas City Wizards more popular…
If only we had made it to the playoffs this year…

Secretly, I tried to make a deal with God in an attempt to postpone the inevitable.


4. Depression

I feel into a depression associated with mourning the loss of the identity of a soccer team I have grown to love dearly over the past 15 years.  I worried about buying new Sporting KC gear.  I worried that, in my grief, I had spent less time with others that depend on me.  This was a tough stage for me to get through..  I think all I really needed was a hug.

5. Acceptance

Reaching this stage of mourning is a gift not afforded to everyone.  Fortunately, my trip to P&L last night helped me move quickly from depression to acceptance.  The loss of my team's identity was fairly sudden and (more or less) unexpected.  However, I have learned to accept the changes that have been made.  Unfortunately, I think some fans may never see beyond their anger or denial. 
 
 
 
As fans, there was nothing we could do about the rebranding of the team. 
Our only two options are to either accept it, or not. 
 
While the stadium, logo, name, colors, and uniforms might be new; the heart of our team remains. 
Our future may have taken a turn some may not like; but our history can not be taken away from us. 
I have accepted and am growing to love the idea of Sporting KC.  
 
That said; to me, we are and always will be, THE WIZARDS.
 



      






 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment